Thursday, January 19, 2012

Designing Her Future- A Closer Look At The New Face Of Fashion


The picture says it all, confident, smart, edgy, and most important in control of her destiny. We were fortunate enough to cross paths, and be blessed by an opportunity to meet with Ms. Carmen Veal of Sani Auri, LLC. As you can imagine I am not only excited about what you are getting ready to read, but more importantly, I can say that Carmen is the absolute "DEFINITION OF HUSTLE". Not only will you see how she was able to get where she is, but WHY she does it! Why she says sleep is a luxury, and why her fire to Hustle Harder will never die out. Rather it's working with Mercedes Benz for her non profit or creating the eye teasing, (and pleasing) BODYCON dress line, Carmen has the pattern to success, and is in the process to stitching her place in history! Enjoy the interview!

1. Tell us about Carmen Veal, where were you personally and professionally in life when you decided to become an entrepreneur?


Carmen Veal is a renaissance woman-today! I haven't always been here though (of course- from nothing to something). When I decided to venture out on my own, I was miserable working in corporate America and suffering from an emotionally draining relationship with my child's father, a new single parent, and very pessimistic mindset. My daughter was diagnosed with Autism, I lost my job due to inconsistency with attendance due to her condition-just unhappy overall. I was 23 at the time of my change, thankful that my desire to want more happened at such a young age. It was a book that I read that changed everything for me, the purpose driven life by Rick Warren. I had actually had the book since I was 17 but never once read it. I lost it with a few moves and found it for free on the internet. It was the best thing that could happen to me. It changed my mindset, made me realize my strengths and blessings instead of my heartaches and downfalls, and helped me focus once again on dreams I put off years before. Four years later, I reflect on that woman from my past and smile- I came a very long way.

2. Fashion is a very competitive industry, what steps do you take to make sure your line “Sani Auri” continues to gain momentum and adds to the success you’ve experienced so far?

The clothing I design are unique because of who I compete with- MYSELF! I am my biggest challenge and competitor. I'm always challenging myself to do better, this creates a drive like no other. I work hard to satisfy myself, the harder I work, the more I find can be improved. It's my own personal revolving door of motivation (and stress LOL).

On the flip side, I am intuitive with the fashion industry. I flip through the magazines and surf the internet on latest fashion and styles. I learn what I like and don’t like this way. My style is unique, my designs are all pieces that I would wear personally. I'm big on class and elegance, sometimes less is more. A fitted bodycon dress that accents curves beautifully at a conservative length is my normal style. Though sometimes a mini skirt and low cut cami is the attire of choice. My clothing line offers balance, catering to all. There is something for everyone no matter what age. The most meaningful part of what I do and offer is that I do what I'm happy and comfortable with. Someone somewhere in the world is going to like it!

3. How much, and what specifically have you sacrificed in order to get where you are so far?

Pretty much all sleep LOL. I do sleep very little at night but I find time for naps to give my body time to gather and re-energize it's self. I found I get more done overnight, when the world is sleeping, the phones aren't ringing and friends/relatives aren't stopping by.

Another is relationships…with both relatives and friends. Everyone serves a purpose in your life...a season or a lifetime. I've learned that people can really slow you down, mentally, physically, and emotionally. I've come across so many different types of people thus far- supporters, users, abusers, manipulators and so on. The most difficult one for me was noticing a few people very close to me who had love in their heart but hate in their eyes towards me. Now, it's unfortunate to face individuals like this but in actuality they make you stronger. Once you get the point of recognizing their worth in your life, it's time to love from a distance. You have to weed them out at that point, because they can and will be your downfall.

4. One of the biggest excuses we hear about not getting started is “balance” What’s your take on balance vs. working your passion, and chasing your dreams?

Balance comes with sacrifice. So the real problem is exactly what and how much you're willing to sacrifice to find balance. You can't have one without the other. I've learned nothing can really get in the way (permanently). There are always road blocks, but there are also always alternate routes. Apart of accomplishing the goal of living in your passion, you learn the most by the road blocks and mistakes. These minor changes will always alter balance, and throughout the course of one's journey there will always be moments where you have to pause and reevaluate things for balance sake. Expect the unexpected, always weigh potential downfall, and work harder when they come-because they will. In the end, is it all worth being passionate for what you believe in?- ABSOLUTELY...it makes success that much sweeter!

5. Why fashion? (What does fashion mean to you?) Are you a fan of the industry, if so what designers inspire you?

I've always love color, and patterns, and creating things myself. In high school I was known for my style and was always dressed up. I wanted to be a fashion designer because I love creating things myself. There's an indescribable thrill that comes with wearing things I've created- kind of like feeling on top of the world (at least I think I am). I figured my reviews from friends and family were enough to feel the rest of the world would find interest in my style to- so Sani Auri by Carmen Veal was born!

I'm a fan of fashion- not a fan of the industry. Can't have one without the other though so I accept it. When it comes to fashion designers, I'm a bit untraditional in sense. I love Michael Kors accessory line and love Betsey Johnson's funky patterned styles. I love some of one thing and dislike others. Which is also a benefit to being a designer- I know what I like so I make it myself?

6. We often say that Entrepreneurs don’t have the luxury of time, we have to learn quickly. Can you tell us what’s the most important business lesson that you’ve learned thus far?

This is beyond true- time to me is a luxury I don’t have enough of but I make the best of it. Like now, I'm completing this interview at 3 am. I mentioned earlier that I work best over night. My mind is clear and less crowded with the active world's demands.

The one absolute necessity that I will recommend to everyone is ORGANIZATION. I'm still transitioning into this process (it is INDEED a process) but a very rewarding one. Knowing where everything is when you need it cuts off the time wasted actually looking for it. Knowing what's next and being able to adjust smoothly when life gets in the way of your plans. This relates back to my take on balance- find it with time by organizing every aspect of your life.

7. Now your BODYCON dresses, are getting rave reviews nationwide from (from men and women). Where did the idea come from, and what’s next for Sani Auri?

Ahhhh-the bodycon dresses! They are truly a site to see and my most innovative idea yet. I offer custom designs to customer who more often than not, come to me with no idea of what they want. After shifting through these consults back to back over the year of 2010-2011, I decided to create a dress system. One that offers color options, style option, length option- the makeup of the perfect dress. Of all the traditional collections I've created, the bodycon dresses are my biggest hit. I get such an alarming response from customers and supporters.

What's next for Sani Auri is more bodycon dresses of course! The system doesn't end- it keeps going, and going. Expect more styles, colors, and lengths very soon! I have a photo shoot set in the next few weeks with all new bodycons that are sure to continue grabbing attention of both men and women!

8. We’re all about motivation here, what would you say to someone that says they don’t have the time to launch their business or chase their dreams?

They're not that serious and/ready to launch their business or chase their dream. A choice such as this can only come when you're mind and body is in sync with your life. Being mentally stable and self driven were keys to my decision to venture out on my own. Before that time, it was just a distant dream- one I only lived through in my head. It wasn't until I found myself that I was able to realize what was really holding me back-myself. Everyone matures at different ages, but recognizing what is going on in your life can help that happen much sooner than later. When I say mature I don’t necessarily mean you're childish or malicious (unless of course this applies), I mean you haven't reach your fullest potential that is a trigger to realizing your worth. Mental, physical, and spiritual stability.

9. One of the biggest success principles is to give back, and you actively practice that principle, tell us about your non-profit: Hope for Autism?


Hope 4 Autism is my baby! I founded H4A two years ago this month. We're a 501 c 3 organization offering financial assistance, advocate services, support groups and awareness to children diagnosed with Autism, their families, and the community. My love for this organization roots at the center of my universe. It sits at my heart, right along with my faith in God. My daughter, Sania, was diagnosed with this condition for a reason. My life changed once we received it, it became more meaningful. Sania's condition taught me patience, love, & understanding, and it exposed my heart to feelings I never knew existed. After fighting it and denial I realized there was a greater purpose. I founded Hope 4 Autism to be an aide and inspiration to others in the same situation. To share my story and help others through theirs. I recently discovered at my most recent parent support group I facilitate monthly, the parent’s struggles and challenges are therapeutic to me. I'm giving them guidance, but they're giving me trust and that makes me feel complete.

10. What inspires you to “HUSTLE HARDER”

Going to bed feeling accomplished, smiling from a hard day’s work of doing what I love, and waking up knowing I get to fulfill yet another day of obligation doing just the same. Every minute of every day I'm reminded of what I love, the more I see it, the harder I work for it. I oftentimes say 'Love what you do. Do what you love.' This small statement holds a world of sentimental value to me. If defines my passion, drive, and dedication down to a science!

11. Tell everyone where they can find you online:


For Sani Auri- www.carmenveal.com/www.saniauri.com Twitter @CarmenVeal & @Saniauri Facebook/CarmenVeal

For Hope 4 Autism, Inc - www.hope4autism.org Twitter @hope4autisminc Facebook/Hope4Autism

**As always, if you find the contents of this blog helpful or inspiring, we ask that you share the page with your network, and leave a comment so we know what it is you're looking for and how we can help**

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think?